The South Korean beauty industry is one of the largest in the world and contains the most innovative and advanced techniques. Also referred to as K-beauty industry, this industry is 12-14 years ahead of the western beauty industry and hence has soared in popularity in the global beauty market in recent years. So is their skincare routine, which is extremely popular among the western population. But what is the difference between Korean and Western?
In Korea, comprehensive skin care is very common, it is something very important that is ingrained in the culture and taught from an early age. Much more value is attached to good skin care, so that the skin stays beautiful for longer. A skincare routine can contain up to ten steps! Skin care revolves around prevention and consists mainly of natural products that have long-lasting effects on the skin.
In western society, skin care is not something that is so prominent, it is not part of the culture as it is in Korea. Western skin care is simpler and more focused on acting on what the skin needs at that moment, rather than preventative like Korea.
The difference in the routine
Based on the skincare routine, you can see the biggest difference between Korean and Western skincare. Western, for example, consists of the following steps on average: cleanser, toner, serum and a moisturizer/cream. The Korean skincare routine contains many more steps, for example, the face is already cleaned twice, instead of once! To give you an idea, here are the ten steps of a Korean skincare routine, explaining why.
- Oil-based cleaner. This is for removing oily substances, such as cream mascara or lipstick.
- Foam based cleaner. This is for removing water-like substances such as dirt or sweat. Hello completely clean skin!
- Scrub. This ensures the removal of dead skin cells and stimulates renewal, in addition, it ensures a less dull complexion.
- Toner. This provides hydration to the skin.
- Essence. This is a step that is "everything" for the Korean routine. Essence moisturizes the skin and allows the other products to act more deeply on the skin.
- Serum. For boosting the skin and solving skin problems.
- Sheet mask. This is a sheet infused with serum or essence, for hydration and care of the skin. A good reason to relax for a while too. Mask on, feet up. Three guesses what my favorite step is ;).
- Eye cream. The skin around the eyes is thinner and therefore needs a different cream.
- Moisturize with cream. We all know this step! It is important that you find a cream that suits your skin type.
- Sunscreen. This is an important step. In Korean skin care, they attach great importance to sunscreen, because the sun causes skin aging. That is why sunscreen is always applied as the last step of the skincare routine.
Experience it yourself!
As you have read, the Korean routine is quite elaborate compared to the western one. Are you curious about what it can do for you? Give it a shot and try it out! Of course you don't have to do all the steps right away, but take a look at the products of K-beauty and maybe add some steps to your routine. Trust me, you will love it.
Go here to our Skincare collection.